Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Perfectly Chocolate Cake

I love chocolate cake! 
That being said, I have several favorite recipes.
 This is one of them.
 This is an easy recipe because you don't
need to cream the butter and sugar first.
Just combine the dry ingredients in one large
bowl, the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl.
 Then combine the two and beat for 2 minutes.
 Stir in the boiling water.
The batter will be very thin.
 I use a 9x13 pan because it's the easiest,
and you can frost the cake right in the pan.
Pour the batter into a sprayed 9x13
 pan and bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. 
You can also make it in 2 - 9" round pans
and make it a layer cake. 
 Now make the frosting. 
The most important part of any good cake
 is homemade frosting. Wash out the large bowl
and the beaters. Combine the ingredients.
 and... beat until fluffy!
 Frost the cooled cake.
 This is fabulous with a tall glass of cold milk! 
 perfectly chocolate!
Skim milk, because you want to watch your calories!


  Perfectly Chocolate Cake
2 C sugar
1-3/4 C flour
3/4 C Hershey's Cocoa
1-1/2 t baking powder
1-1/2 t baking soda
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C oil (vegetable, corn, canola)
2 t vanilla
1 C boiling water


Combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
Beat for 2 minutes on medium.
Stir in the boiling water. Batter will be thin. 
Pour into a sprayed 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes. 
 9" cake pans about 30-35 minutes.
Cake is done when it springs back when lightly touched.
Let cool completely to frost.


 Perfectly Chocolate Frosting
1 stick butter
3 C powdered sugar
2/3 C cocoa
1/3 C milk
1 t vanilla
Melt the butter in the microwave. Mix in the cocoa
 and powdered sugar adding the milk as you go.
Beat on medium speed until creamy. Beat in the 
vanilla until fluffy. Makes about 2 C.


Chocolate is the answer!

Links: Between Naps On The Porch, My Romantic Home, Designs By Gollum

42 comments:

  1. I've made this and it's great! I use the frosting when I need it for other things:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my this looks delicious! We have a favorite that's called Mississippi Mud but this looks like it could rival it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yea, now we're talking.. :) transforming those simple ingredients into something that looks that yummy is wonderful to me.. I'm no good at baking so I'll just look at yours and imagine..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man...your pictures are delicious! If it weren't almost 10 pm I'd be in the kitchen starting this cake!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rita, call me crazy, but shouldn't there be some cocoa in the cake batter? The picture sure looks like a chocolate cake, but I can't find the chocolate in the cake recipe! Just sayin'.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3rd ingredient down in the cake mix. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi subgirl, OOPS! Thanks for spotting the omission. all fixed now. Good call!!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heading to the kitchen to make this. Thanks. brb
    http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. Love your blog. I see you love Longaberger pottery like me! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I am now craving Chocolate Cake. I rarely make it because DH won't touch it. I would be left with eating the whole thing, NOT GOOD. I really like your blog.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Back to mention that after cruising your blog I noticed that you are a FL girl too. I am too living in N FL.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks great! I'm not sure I've never added boiling water to a cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is equivalent to a stick of butter, cup wise?

    ReplyDelete
  13. 1 stick of butter is = to 1/2 C or 1/4 pound.

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfect thank you! I have seen this in many recipes and I didn't know how much it was.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am making this cake right now. I noticed that there wasn't any salt in it. Looked up the original...it calls for 1 tsp salt.
    Thanks for posting this recipe. I had forgotten all about it and how much I love it. Making it for hubby for his b-day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I rarely put salt in sweet baked goods because I don't like that salt under-taste. You could put in a pinch, but I think 1t is too much. Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just made this cake and its awesome, but ive made the frosting twice and it still doesnt look like yours.

    Do you have any suggestions or know what i did wrong?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so good! Made this recipe for the husband last night. It was my first time ever making a cake from scratch. I loved it and used only a cup and a third of sugar (I'm sure it's great with two) I'm just now learning to cook though and had to experiment. Where would I be without all of the bakers and homemakers out there?

    ReplyDelete
  19. I made this cake this afternoon and it is amazing!!!!! I will be making this many more times! Thank you for posting such a yummy recipe, now I am off to browse around your blog a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I cut this recipe in half, any idea how long it should bake for?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Could you substitute coffee for the boiling water?

    ReplyDelete
  22. This does look delicious, and I am always on the look-out for a great frosting recipe. Every time "the girls" play cards, I make a different chocolate cake for our dessert. I am definitely trying this one, and as someone mentioned will sub coffee for the water.

    ReplyDelete
  23. We love chocolate cake so will have to make this too, thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Making your lemon brownies now, found this choc cake recipe. If you were using SR Flour would you leave out the baking soda & powder??

    ReplyDelete
  25. Me too! I also love chocolate cake! =) I'm pretty sure that cake is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Awesome. I like your post a lot. I would like to share something that you can get homemade chocolate cake from monginis in India. http://www.monginis.net/chocolate-cakes/

    ReplyDelete
  27. made the perfectly chocolate cake today

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely recipe ! Your cakes are always out of the world.


    Online Cake delivery in Bhopal

    ReplyDelete
  29. Loved your cake and icing. Just so delicious! Made it for my Grandsons birthday🎂

    ReplyDelete