Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli

 We wanted to go to a matinee movie so I popped 
this dinner into the crock pot after lunch. 
Coming home to a ready dinner is better than take-out.
 Slice the beef and chop the garlic.
  In the pot, combine the consomme/broth
 (dilute with equal parts water if concentrated),
brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, ginger and
red pepper flakes. Add the beef and toss to coat.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours. 
 Remove about 3T sauce from the pot and combine
 with 2T cornstarch. Stir back into the pot along
with the broccoli. Cover and cook on HI for 
about 15 minutes until broccoli is just tender.
Serve over rice.


Crock Pot Beef and Broccoli
1 C beef consomme or broth
(dilute if concentrated)
1/3 C brown sugar
1/3 C soy sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T sesame oil
1/2 t ground ginger (opt.)
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (opt.)
1-1/2 to 2 lbs beef chuck roast,
2 T cornstarch
broccoli florets about 4 C
Trim excess fat from the beef and slice into strips.
Combine the first 7 ingredients in the crock pot.
Add the beef slices and toss to coat. 
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.

 Combine 2T cornstarch with 4 T water
to make a slurry. Stir into the pot.
Add as much broccoli as you like
You can also use a bag of frozen florets,
 no need to defrost. Stir to combine, cover
and cook on hi for 15-20 minutes to 
thicken the sauce and cook the broccoli to
your desired tenderness. 
During this time you can cook the rice.


How To Cook Rice
1-1/2C rice
3 C water
1 t salt
Combine ingredients in a medium pot, cover and to a boil then reduce the heat to low and cook until the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork add a pat of butter if desired. It's always a 1 part rice ratio - 2 parts water .  Easy to remember. 1 C rice to 2 C water.


tip: I like using my crock pot timer to start this recipe so that it will be ready when I get home. It will also stop the cooking and keep it warm until you are ready to eat.

tip: For Crock Pot Steak and Peppers,omit the broccoli and toss in 2 sliced green
       peppers.
    
Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. This looks so good, Rita. Something I haven't had in ages. I'd like to make your recipe ~ thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yummy! I love this kind of meat, I make something similar, but love the brocoli you added. Thank you for the recipe, dear Rita. Big hugs and have a sweet week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group
    of volunteers and starting a new project in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work
    on. You have done a wonderful job!
    My page : Tuition Tutor

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMGoodness, my mouth is watering! Thanks for ths recipe. XO, pinky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two recipes for the price of one! Thanks for sharing this, Rita May. When we lived in Venice, FL, we used to love to go to matinee movies.

    I love your blog & even had my DH assemble a similar storage shelf using my empty tennis cans. I'll have to do a blog post on it one day soon.

    Thanks again for the recipe. I am putting the ingredients on my shopping list right now.

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got my ingredients this morning & made this for our supper tonight. It was OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, the best crock pot meal I have ever made!
    DH isn't even fond of broccoli, but he said it was delicious. :-D

    Thank you again for sharing it. I'm sending it on to my DD & sisters, too.

    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so good I need to do it! Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am cooking this right now! It smells so good. I accidentally cooked it on high for the 1st 3 hours so my cook time will have to be shorter

    ReplyDelete