Pages

Monday, October 20, 2014

American Hamburger Goulash

This is definitely a going-back-for-seconds
bowl of goodness.
It's a great pasta dish for fall and a
perfect dinner to serve the night of
 Halloween...Ghoul-ash!
There are many variations and names for
a macaroni and beef recipe. 
This recipe is easy and doesn't require boiling
the macaroni noodles separately. 
Just stir the dry pasta into the beef mixture.
It's a good dinner to made ahead and 
refrigerate until the next day.
I cut the recipe in half this time for just the 
2 of us. But I usually make the whole pot so 
I'll have plenty of leftovers, or to freeze 
a few individual portion dinners.
This is the full recipe.

American Goulash
2 lbs ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
4 large cloves garlic, minced
2 (15oz) cans tomato sauce 
(or 1 large 29oz can)
2 (14.5oz) cans diced tomatoes
 (or 1 large 29oz can)
3 C water
2 dried bay leaves
1 T seasoned salt
2 T dried oregano
3 T soy sauce
2 t dried basil
1/2 t pepper
2 C elbow macaroni, uncooked

In a large dutch oven, brown the beef 
breaking it up as it cooks.
Stir in the onion and garlic. Cook until 
the onions are tender. Add the remaining 
ingredients, except macaroni. Simmer for
20 minutes. Stir in the pasta, cover, simmer
 over low heat until the pasta is tender, 
about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. 
Remove from heat. Discard bay leaves. 
Serve or refrigerate until needed. 
Enjoy!


tip: you can replace the oregano and basil with
2 T Italian seasoning.

Links: Between Naps On The Porch

26 comments:

  1. dear Rita, I love these comfy and cozy recipes. This is delicious and I would probably make the full recipe too and freeze for the future. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe looks so warm, cozy and inviting! Perfect for a cold evening.
    Thanks for sharing Rita and just pinned too.
    Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rita, your recipe it's delicious. I like very much macaroni with souce, thanks a lot :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please tell me how much oily and spicy it this..?




    cooking classes los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you say "3 T" or "1/2" T, please tell me do you mean TableSpoon or Teaspoon?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. capitol T mean tablespoon, small t means teaspoon. Hope you like it!

      Delete
  6. I have made this so many times now I can't even count! It's my absolute favorite Goulash recipe on the internet! I don't do green pepper (something I just hate!) but I do do a lot of extra garlic and splashes of worcestershire sauce! I am a tweaker of any recipe after the first time, and this recipe basically holds it's own! Even my grandkids (ages 3,4,7,11) love it and they hate everything! Thanks Rita May!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear it's a family favorite. Grandkids are the best food critics!

      Delete
    2. I don’t see green pepper in this. Am I missing something ?

      Delete
    3. I was just mentioning the green pepper as my mother in law always added that! My kids wouldn’t eat it with those green things in there? Lol. So I commented that Rita’s recipe is far superior to the MIL.

      Delete
    4. I was just mentioning the green pepper as my mother in law always added that! My kids wouldn’t eat it with those green things in there? Lol. So I commented that Rita’s recipe is far superior to the MIL.

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    What would happen if I added a couple of small cans of tomato paste to the recipe as it is?

    Thank you
    FRank

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great dinner to be snowed in with in Pennsylvania I also added a head of cabbage

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are AMAZING! Thank you thank you thank you so much for this. I was considering doing the same thing and you’ve just made the task a lot less daunting. health magazineus
    Bread makes you fat
    protein foods
    Banana Diet
    Food near me open now
    Hummus

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best goulash EVER!!!!!!! I've made this many many times and gonna make it tomorrow for the nasty cold rain we fixing to get!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for writing such a good article, I stumbled onto your blog and read a few post. I like your style of writing...
    fasolakia ladera

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Rita! Several years back you had a pasta sauce that was really easy and delicious, it had sausage and cream as well as ground beef and wine and a couple other ingredients. You had a picture of what you used. It was fast and easy and delicious. I can not find it now? Can you send it to me please sk363@yahoo.com
    It looks like you updated it to the Bolognese one, but that one takes to long...lol
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make this at least once every 2 weeks it's so good!!! Thank you Rita, I'm making it today as its turning chilly here tonight!

    ReplyDelete